What is the timeline to come into compliance?Here are the phases and dates you need to know at this point:
- December 2015 – December 18, 2017: Using ELDs is voluntary. Paper logs and AOBRDs are accepted. However, you should be planning and preparing!
- December 18, 2017: By this date, you must have installed a registered ELD or an AOBRD/ELD that is not yet certified. These non-registered devices fall under the “grandfather clause” and provide two extra years to come into full compliance. Paper logs are no longer acceptable.
- December 16, 2019: ALL drivers, fleets and carriers must now have certified and registered ELDs that comply with all regulations installed on their vehicles.
Does the new ELD mandate apply to my fleet?According to the FMCSA, there are a few exceptions to the rule, including:
- Drivers/fleets operating short-haul
- Drivers/fleets logging a maximum of 8 days out of 30
- Drive-away-tow-away operations where the vehicle driven is the commodity
- Vehicles manufactured before the year 2000 (ELD use is voluntary, info here)